Reporting to the Executive Director, Medical Science Team Lead, the Medical Science Director (MSD) will participate in the strategic development and tactical execution of plans to engage scientific thought leaders and act as a conduit for providing accurate and updated clinical, scientific, and medical information to Health Care Professionals and other members of the scientific community.
Provide Non-Promotional Research Support
- Identify expert sources for clinical information on compounds in the development pipeline to better inform research and development efforts.
- Develop clinical knowledge expertise in CKD-aP and hyperkalemia treatment landscape, including current treatment strategies and new therapeutic developments.
- Participate and sometimes lead the development and execution of medical strategies to identify key CKD-aP/hyperkalemia/nephrology/heart failure experts, investigators, and institutions that are strategic to research and development efforts.
- Develop and ensure alignment with medical education activities for healthcare professionals through MSD-delivered presentations, participation in medical meetings, and other appropriate venues to enhance product and disease state knowledge.
- Collaborate with the company clinical team, medical monitors, CRAs, and CTEs to coordinate and optimize educational and research support for sites/investigators participating in the company’s clinical trials.
- Respond to unsolicited requests regarding interest in investigator sponsored studies (ISS), and support ISS submissions through appropriate internal review and approval processes.
- Ensure alignment on content of effective clinical presentations provided to internal and external audiences, ensuring presentations are tailored to meet the specific needs of the audience (appropriate response to unsolicited requests).
- Ensure efficient information exchange between MSD colleagues in the field and office-based clinical, medical affairs, and drug safety team members, so that key clinical, safety, and research issues are identified and communicated to and from industry leaders and the appropriate departments to help shape company research, development, and strategies for investigational and commercialized Vifor portfolio products.
- Identify educational needs within the medical community around CKD-aP hyperkalemia disease state management.
- Maintain clinical expertise through comprehensive education, including attendance at relevant symposiums and scientific workshops; review of key journals; and participation in required internal training and presentations.
- Adhere to all regulatory and compliance guidelines and company policies in all aspects of scientific dissemination of information, including responses to unsolicited requests for medical information.
The knowledge and skills necessary to perform the duties of this position are typically acquired through the following combination of education, experience, and knowledge, or the equivalent:
- MD, PharmD, PhD, or other allied medical degree preferred.
- 2-5 years’ experience, with a minimum of 2 years in the medical field.
- Ability to travel 40-60%.
- Home-office based.
- Knowledge and experience in the field of nephrology and/or cardiovascular medicine preferred.
As a federal contractor, Vifor Pharma, Inc. is required to comply with Executive Order 14042, which requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 absent a bona fide medical reason, a genuine religious belief, on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements. All employees must be in compliance with Vifor Pharma, Inc.’s COVID-19 vaccine policy at the commencement of their employment.